Our Members' Blogs

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Like the sound of a great Amen

by Nancy Shuman


File:Francesco Vanni - Mains jouant du luth+.jpg
Sketch by Francesco Vanni (Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons).



"Exult, you just, in the Lord ... sing to Him a new song; pluck the strings skillfully, with shouts of gladness.."  (Psalm 33:1 & 3)

I read this scripture with a sigh.  Loving to sing, I can't carry a tune in the proverbial bucket. Although I savor the sounds of harpsichords and pianos and cellos and harps, I myself am no plucker of strings.

Even with no musical talent, however, I find singing to be a path into prayer.  I like to pray with psalms, using the words as a springboard to my own conversations with God.  "I will extol you," I read in Psalm 145... and so I do.  I begin to thank Him for His goodness and kindness and mercy (this can go on for some time before I turn again to what I'm reading).  And when I feel pretty sure no one is within hearing distance, I just might burst into song.  Sometimes using a tune I know, sometimes making up my own, I sing to God of His wonders.  I set thanksgivings and praises to music; I may even bring intercession into the song.  It somehow opens my heart to do this, and helps unlock the door to conversation with God.

The psalms are a springboard into prayer for me.  And music, even if I keep my singing "on the inside," is my personal amen. 
 
"I do not know what I was playing,
Or what I was dreaming then,
But I struck one chord of music
Like the sound of a great Amen."  (A. Proctor)


This reflection was originally posted by Nancy Shuman on The Breadbox Letters.  Like our Facebook page to follow both of Nancy's blogs, plus more of our members.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, there's something about music that opens the heart! But I do it in private so I won't drive others batty with my singing ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments charitable and free of bad language. Thanks!