Our Members' Blogs

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Finding what really satisfies us

by Terry




File:Edgard Farasijn Human contentments.jpg
Human Contentments by Edgard Farasijn (Photo in Public Domain).



We’re a peculiar bunch, we humans.  Most of us never seem to be satisfied with our lot in life.  No matter how good or how bad, we instinctively reach out for something more.

As someone who wears many different hats in a 24-hour period, I hate to admit it but I am guilty as charged.  If only my kids would do more chores; if only I could land that contract; if only I could finish that lesson plan; if only...

Recently, a person of advanced age who has great material wealth but failing health wistfully remarked, “if only I had more money, all my troubles would be over.”  The person was visibly anxious while saying this.  I probably shouldn’t have been surprised at that statement but it made me pause because it didn’t make any sense.  Money isn’t going to solve the myriad health problems or reverse the aging process.  I felt very sad for this person who, in my eyes, was still searching for something more and relying heavily on things of this world to appease an inner restlessness.  That the person was an atheist certainly didn’t help.

 
Continue reading at Terry's blog  8 Kids and a Business.

2 comments:

  1. Oops! Your link to continue reading is to the wikimedia page for the image. Did you mean to link to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know. Sorry about the mistake, everyone--Terry especially.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments charitable and free of bad language. Thanks!