Our Members' Blogs

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Harden not your hearts

By Connie Rossini


File:Tissot Moses Smites the Rock in the Desert.jpg
Moses Smites the Rock in the Desert by Tissot (photo credit:Wikimedia Commons)



"If today you hear God's voice, harden not your hearts." This Psalm response from Sunday's Mass is familiar to those who pray the Liturgy of the Hours (Divine Office). Taken from Psalm 95, it is part of the Invitatory prayed every morning. This verse helps me immensely in my spiritual life. It reminds me always to be open to God's grace.

I get easily overwhelmed when I think about all the obligations of the spiritual life. I need to pray every day and pray well. I must be detached from everything except God. I must answer my children with love, work diligently, be considerate of my husband's needs, refrain from gossip, be humble... Yikes! The phlegmatic part of me can't handle all that at once.

Over the last year, God has shown me how to reduce these obligations to just one: trust. I must believe in and accept His plan for me at every moment. Another way of saying this is I must have an open heart.

 

Don't look for grace before you need it


Corrie Ten Boom, who survived Dachau's horrors, wrote her family's story in The Hiding Place. I love the tale she tells about her conversation with her father concerning death. As a little girl, she was distraught at the thought her beloved father would someday leave her:
I burst into tears, “I need you!” I sobbed. “You can't die! You can't!”
“Corrie,” he began gently. “When you and I go to Amsterdam, when do I give you your ticket?”
“Why, just before we get on the train.”
“Exactly. And our wise Father in heaven knows when we're going to need things, too. Don't run out ahead of him, Corrie. When the time comes that some of us will have to die, you will look into your heart and find the strength you need – just in time.”
I don't need to think about all the things God is asking me to do throughout the day. I only need to recognize what He is asking me to do at this moment. Grace exists in the present moment. It is available when we need it, not before. What is God's will right now?


Continue reading at Contemplative Homeschool.

3 comments:

  1. I read this book back in the late 1970's. It was thru her book that I learned that our Lord was not a nasty old guy who was out to get me. I still glean new insights every time I read this book. BUT it was our Blessed Mother and the Eucharist that brought me back to the Catholic church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She reminds me of St. Therese in that they both had wonderful relationships with their fathers, which taught them the true character of God. And then there is her story of forgiving her Nazi tormentors--so inspiring. But thank God for bringing you (and me) back to the fulness of the faith.

      Delete
  2. Colleen, I had forgotten that one. It kept the Nazis from inspecting them, right? So they were able to keep their Bible study going? What a reminder to look for the good in everything!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments charitable and free of bad language. Thanks!