Our Members' Blogs

Friday, September 6, 2013

God's promise to me and to all

By Colleen Spiro


File:Ascensión del Señor (Antonio Lanchares).jpg
Ascension of the Lord by Lanchares (photo credit: Wikimedia Commons).


Connie Rossini wrote in an earlier post, "Everyone has an idiolect - a collection of personal speech habits that is different from anyone else's. Have you ever thought about your spiritual idiolect?  Since your soul is unique, you have a personal way of speaking to God that no one else completely shares."

I pondered this question for weeks. How do I speak to God? How do I communicate with him? How do I relate to God? What feeds my spiritual life?

My first thought was the word "Listen."

Listen is the first word of the Rule of St. Benedict. As a Benedictine oblate, I try to listen to God's voice. I listen to God's voice within my heart. I listen to God's voice in others' voices. I listen to God's voice in the events of my daily life.

What is more delightful than the voice of the Lord calling to us?
 St. Benedict

My second thought was the word "Look."

I look for God everywhere. I look expecting to find Him. I never ask the question  - where is God? I know He is present. And because I know He is present, it is just a matter of "how" He is present. How will I find God? Where will I find God?

When I was a child, one of my favorite movies was the Easter movie, "King of Kings." I loved that last line spoken by Jesus - "And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.” (Mt 28:20)


Continue reading at Colleen's blog Thoughts on Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments charitable and free of bad language. Thanks!