Our Members' Blogs

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Will you accept His invitation today?

By Heidi 
 

Invitation to  the Great Banquet by Luyken (Wikipedia).
  



The parable of the Great Banquet in the Gospel of Luke brings back memories of my Presbyterian Sunday School and Wednesday release time instruction.  How many Bible stories I remember because we sang them! 

He replied to him, “A man gave a great dinner to which he invited many. When the time for the dinner came,he dispatched his servant to say to those invited,‘Come, everything is now ready.’ But one by one, they all began to excuse themselves. The first said to him,‘I have purchased a field and must go to examine it; ask you, consider me excused. ’And another said, ‘I have purchased five yoke of oxen and am on my way to evaluate them;I ask you, consider me excused.’ And another said, ‘I have just married a woman,and therefore I cannot come.’

The servant went and reported this to his master. Then the master of the house in a rage commanded his servant,‘Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in here the poor and the crippled,the blind and the lame.’The servant reported, ‘Sir, your orders have been carried out and still there is room.’The master then ordered the servant,‘Go out to the highways and hedgerows and make people come in that my home may be filled. For, I tell you, none of those men who were invited will taste my dinner.’”

What puzzles me most about this parable is that is seems that the neighbors invited initially said yes!  But, in absence of a true and intimate friendship, they really meant yes, unless....

It is so important to take time everyday to pray and to develop the capacity to know and respond to His voice.  To order my actions, my hopes, my dreams and my ambitions to Christ.  And, oh boy, did I need this reminder, because life has been craaaaazzzzzy lately (on top of everything else:  potty training …need I say more?).  Being that I am not an overly organized person this has caused major disruptions, and there is a pressure to jettison any activity that is not necessary or “productive”.  My high hopes for the day are for dry pants (that would be for Max)  and dinner on the table before bedtime, how on earth can I think of more than that!!


Continue reading at Journey to Wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments charitable and free of bad language. Thanks!