Our Members' Blogs

Friday, December 20, 2013

To follow God wherever His will leads us

By Barbara A. Schoeneberger



Portrait of John Henry Newman by John Everett Millais, 1881 via Wikipedia
Portrait of John Henry Newman
by John Everett Millais, 1881 via Wikipedia



Lead, Kindly Light, amidst th’encircling gloom,
Lead Thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home,
Lead Thou me on!
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene; one step enough for me.

 I was not ever thus, nor prayed that Thou
Shouldst lead me on;
I loved to choose and see my path; but now
Lead Thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years!

So long Thy power hath blest me, sure it still
Will lead me on. O’er moor and fen, o’er crag and torrent, till
The night is gone,
And with the morn those angel faces smile,
Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile!


This profound poem by Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman (1801-1890) was written in 1833, a plea for docility to God’s will at a time when he was frustrated by not being able to get back to England and to his work after a sojourn in Italy. Its original title was “Pillar of the Cloud” with a fourth verse added by someone else later.


Continue reading Barb's reflection at Suffering with Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments charitable and free of bad language. Thanks!